Saturday, January 31, 2009

Day 7 - January 29 - Part 2: Birthday hot springs and spa

Ana and I caught a cab from Arenal Paraiso to spend a night at The Tabacon Grand Spa and Thermal Resort. At the check in desk were were greeted with welcome cocktails and hot wet hand towels. This resort is tucked away in the hills right near the Arenal volcano and is one of the most famous resorts and spas in Central America. It was gorgeous there. Ana and I checked our bags at the reception and jumped on a shuttle to take us to their world famous hot springs.

At the hot springs, they hooked you up with a towel and a locker. There was a restaurant there, a pool with wet bar, and the 10 plus hot springs. We took off up the hill to start at the top and make our way down. The water was really hot, but felt so good once you submerged yourself. We sat in a waterfall for a bit letting the running water massage our bodies. I could have fallen asleep there. So we made our way down probably about half the springs, taking pretty pictures. I think Ana's working on her swimsuit calendar. :) Then went to eat. Being that it was my birthday they obliged me and served me a yummy ceviche that was not on the menu. They also brought Ana and me a sample of some yummy tuna salad. We ate our lunch and sipped our mojitos all super relaxed. After lunch, Ana was sleepy so she wanted a nap and I wanted to go get a pedicure at their famous spa.

Ok, so this is for all you spa gals (and guys) out there. I walk into a covered area, but with no walls so you can see all the natural green all around and hear the hot springs. The room was dimmly lit by candles which gave it a serene feel. I was greated by a nice young man who offered me a robe, a beverage, and use of the jaccuzi while I waited about 15 minutes. I went for the jaccuzi and nessled myself against a jet while I waited for the time to pass. It was so peaceful, even though it really started raining hard. The drops just seemed to lull me to sleep. But I thought of poor Ana who was napping by the pool and how she probably was abruptly awaken by the rain. Doh!

The young man came to get me ready for my appointment. He got me a comfy robe and offered to take my suit and they would dry it while I was getting my pedicure. In the bathroom/locker room was showers and every toiletry you could thing of. He gave me a bracelet that would just lock my locker for me without need of a key. I was impressed.

Then I was escorted down to the pedicure area where I was in a cushy seat in an open air area with a bamboo roof. My pedi lady, Lorena, was really nice. I began my 70 minute pedicure. OMG! Best pedi ever! Again it rained while I was in the chair, but no matter I was in a trance. I actually had to keep myself awake at times. After such an arduous morning hike this was heaven to my legs and feet. I even got a volcanic mud wrap on my feet which I thought was amazing. Just when I thought it could not get any better they bring out a plate of fresh fruit and some chilled white wine. I was in shock. I mean I've never done something so nice for myself. Never pampered myself like this. For the first time, I felt like I did not want to return to real life. Well as you all know, I could not stay there forever. I went back to the locker room put on my nice dry and warm swimsuit and headed out to find Ana.

She was out there waiting for me, but with a new friend. This Swedish guy, Warren, who looked Latino and spoke perfect Spanish. Turns out his father is Peruvian and his mom Swedish. The three of us went to explore the hot springs some more although it was really raining and I did not want to mess with my feet. So we headed back to the pool for a birthday drink at the wet bar. There was a water slide at the pool and we went down numerous times until we were able to get an action shot of each of us. It was fun times. Warren had to meet his tour group to eat and Ana and I had to go back to the hotel to get into our room. The birthday night awaited us....

No comments:

Post a Comment