Saturday, January 31, 2009

Day 6 - January 28 - From the beach to the Volcano


Today Ana and I awoke early in luxury. The bed at La Mansion Inn was heavenly. I don't know if it was a real heavenly bed, but sure felt nice. We then hit up breakfast and met up with Kevin and Beau before their excursion to Manuel Antonio Park. They recommended the Huevos Congos for breakfast. Me and Ana got them. They weren't that big of deal. Just scrambled eggs in the middle of a big flour tortilla with blackbeans and some sauce. I just tore into the tortilla to get the eggs since I do not really eat flour tortillas. After that we said goodbye to the boys and I went back to the room for a nap and Ana went to explore the Mansion some more. Our shuttle was coming early like 9:30 so my nap was short. I awoke with upset stomach from breakfast, but powered through it so I could catch the shuttle to the airport.

We flew from Quepos to San Jose for a quick layover. So we thought. Turns out our second flight was delayed an hour. Ana diligently consulted with the airport staff on how to rearrange our ground transportation at Arenal. The flight was short, but you could see the vegetation turning from palm trees to rivers and thicker forests. I was a bit nauscious from my upset stomach and it was bumpy, but I just sipped on some water. It was cloudy and a little cooler when we arrived in the Arenal airport. We had to pay $7 to get our bags since there's somekind of entry fee there.

The ground transportation picked us up and took us to La Fortuna, the tiny town on the side of the volcano. There we stopped at a tourist office to figure out what we were going to do on Friday. We wanted to do canopy. Our original plan of going to Monteverde did not pan out and we opted to stay in Arenal for canopy. Then the shuttle took me to find an ATM since I had run out of colones. The ATM would not work, but I had just used my card to pay for the canopy tour so I thought something was odd. I gave up for the moment. We continued up the road in the shuttle past La Fortuna to our new hotel, Arenal Paraiso. A resort with cabins for rooms and hot springs water in man made pools.

It was really pretty there. Very rustic. The day was a bit cloudy and Arenal was in view, but the top was covered in clouds to Ana's dismay. Hungry since we had not eaten in a while, we took a cab back to La Fortuna for a late lunch.

Ana was on a hunt for souveniers and I was looking for a functioning ATM. We explored La Fortuna and found both. The town is quite quaint. I have been there before. I like how there's lots of places to eat on the main strip, internet cafes, tourist offices, and roaming police. We found a decent internet cafe and blogged a bit then we called our taxi friend Dennis to come pick us up.

Back at the hotel Ana took a nap while I went to explore. The place was really pretty with windy paved trails between cabins. It was sprinkling but the mist felt good since it was still warm. I actually took a little job around the grounds exploring what they had. It was really pleasant. I felt so alive and rejuvenated there. I'm more of a mountain person so looking up at the Arenal volcano and breathing in the fresh air made me very relaxed.

When I got back Ana was ready to eat so we headed down the resort's restaurant to eat and then just chilled in the room. The next day was my big day so I wanted to be all rested for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment