Monday, January 26, 2009

Day 3 - January 25 - Monkeying Around


Today is our 3rd day in Costa Rica. We got up a little later than we planned. I guess kicking it at the beach tires you out more than you think. ;) The hotel has breakfast for us every morning. It was a buffet and as I went down the line my eyes got real big because I spotted some Gallo Pinto. For those who don´t know this is the typical Costa Rican breakfast food of rice and beans with some more goodies. That plus some platanos maduros and I was in Tico heaven. I usually don´t eat rice, but hey I´m on vacation.

Then Ana and I headed up the road, literally like 3 blocks to the entrance to Manuel Antonio National Park, known for it´s beautiful plants and wildlife. It pays off to be a Tica. Turns out since I´m a citizen I paid just 30% of the tourist price. Ana played like she was Tica and got in at that rate also. HAHA Ana you wish you were Tica. JK! We could have gotten a guide, but we just kinda stayed close to guides who were lecturing. We were ear hustling just a little bit. Manuel Antonio is gorgeous. Lush palm trees, like 3 beaches and MONKEYS! I had heard about the white face monkeys, but they were no joke. They would come in waves and even pose for the cameras. Near the beach they get close to people trying to nab some food. I got a lot of pix of them and even some video. They were little rascals, but fun to watch. Then Ana and I took to the trails and we ended up taking a hike up into the rain forest on a trail called the Senedor del Catedral, I think. It was super humid and hot, but we were in the shade. On this hike we saw sloths and this squirrel looking animal. Bigger, but without the tail. I forget the name, but they are very common in CR. We hiked pretty high and saw some breathtaking views of the ocean below. Finally we descended to a beach. I jumped into the water to cool off. The water was pretty warm with a cold undercurrent. Felt so good! Ana was tired and was napping in the shade. We had to watch out though. Racoons were coming around stealing food. I saw one straight steal a bag from some girls. It was hilarious. Little stinkers! After a while there we put on our sarongs and headed back to the hotel to wash up and get some lunch.

We hit up a restaurant on the beach front called Martini´s. I had a tuna burger. Delicious. Oh and a long awaited Guaro drink. Guaro is the alcohol that Costa Rica is known for. The hotel had run out so I was craving some. For dessert we had a huge plate of fresh fruit. They had guanabana there and I got it with milk. Again one of my favorite things Costa Rican. Although I can get it in the states, just not the same when you´re sippin on it and you hear the waves crashing. Plus they gave it too me for free since they saw how happy I was when I ordered it. :) It was raining so Ana just chilled at the restaurant for a while. Costa Rica can be like that. Rain and sun can be part of the same day. You never know. But it only rained for like an hour. Then we hiked up the road to go find a gift shop Ana had heard of called Buena Nota. Buena Nota is an expression in Costa Rica that means that a person is a good person. Como ese muchacho es muy buena nota. We found some good stuff, but Ana forgot her credit cards so we´ll be back.

We took the bus back since my big toe is hurting again. I reinjured it when I was in the swimming pool so I have to be careful with it. By that time it was dark. We hit up the hotel restaurant for dinner. We were going to head back to Buena Nota afterwards for some Latin Music, but we ended up chillin again. Walking around and doing these activities just catch up with you. So we rested in the cool A/C of the hotel room. We had a big day of horseback riding in the morning....

No comments:

Post a Comment